There are an endless amount of fun things to do during your next
. Here is a top 10 list.
1. Grab Some Seafood
- There are quite a few good places in town, try Manzanita Seafood & Chowder House located at 519 Laneda Ave, call 503-368-2722 for information on hours and menu.
2. Hike To The Top Of Neahkanie Mountain
– Rising 1,600 feet above sea level, the summit has great views of Manzanita and the Pacific Ocean. Find the marked trailheads along the west side of the 101 just north of the first
large lookout, or on the south side past the last roadside lookout. Either trial is only a couple of miles roundtrip, but be sure to bring plenty of water, some snacks and a jacket incase the weather changes.
3. Hit The Beach
– Manzanita beach is simply amazing. Located next to town, you can take a walk, play with the dogs, watch the sunset, take in a great view of Neahkanie Mountain, start a campfire, swim in the surf, go surfing,
or fly a kite. The water is cold year round so don’t forget your wetsuit if you’re planning on paddling out. Numerous other amazing beaches are nearby in the State Parks around Manzanita.
4. Go Surfing
- Check out Bahama Mama's Bikes, Boards and Beach Fare located only 2 blocks from the beach, and find out where the best breaks are, or rent a bike to explore town on.
5. Go Shopping
- Utterly lacking in pretension or in soulless big box stores, Manzanita is full of quaint, independently owned, shops.
Click here for more information
6. Check Out The Art Scene
– To say that Manzanita has a healthy arts scene is an understatement. Our tiny town is full of funky galleries and prolific studios scattered mostly along Laneda Avenue.
7. Explore The Surrounding State Parks
- Just north of Manzanita sits
Oswald West State Park
. Once you step out of your car at this great spot, the beach is only a quarter mile away. There are multiple trails to the beach, leading you to the Cape Falcon overlook or to the Oregon Coast Trail. Take any of the trails and they
lead you to the beach through scenic forest; by the time you hit the beach, you feel like you’re a million miles away. Once you get there you find an isolated cove and a great place to surf or boogie board. The beach is never empty, but never crowded. This
isn’t Southern California, here you find yourself surrounded by the mountains, and the closest parking meter is a word away.
Nehalem Bay State Park
is located south of town just off the 101. This 900-acre playground offers the opportunity to do just about anything you could want to do in the outdoors. Go on kayak trip around Nehalem Bay or go out for great crabbing and fishing.
This park has it all including an airplane landing strip with adjacent campgrounds, horseback riding, and 1.75 mile bike trail.
8. Hit The Farmer’s Market
– Running every Friday evening from June to September, our local farmer’s market is located at the intersection of Laneda Avenue and 5th Place South in Manzanita, well within site of the Pacific
Ocean. Pick up some oven fresh bread, locally grown produce, and hormone free grass fed beef. The market also offers fresh baked sweets for dessert and fresh flowers. Kick up your heels, because bands play every Friday night.
9. Go Fishing
– There is amazing fishing near Manzanita. Start off by checking out Nehalem Bay for amazing Chinook salmon fishing. In the fall, the salmon move into the Nehalem River and these monsters average about 25
pounds. The season is open for fall from August 1 through December 31st. Trout fishing throughout the county is also great, it is strictly catch and release and runs from May 22nd to October 31st, with artificial flies and lures only. Or if you are looking
for a chartered fishing trip try Garabaldi Charters
Kerri Lin Charters
The Tillamook Cheese Factory
– Located just down the road in Tillamook at 4175 Highway 101 North, the factory is a cooperative that has operated since 1909 and is made up of about 110 local dairy farmers. They produce premium-quality dairy
products and the factory is open for tours daily.